MELZERVILLE

Population: 6 - Ryan, Kathryn, Lucy, Elsa, Leta, Annie

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Running

Well...the Halloween decor is still in a corner of my room, waiting to be boxed up and put away.

In the middle of November, Ryan ran his first half marathon.  He accomplished his goal and ran it in under 2 hours.  He completed over 13 miles in one hour and 52 minutes.  I was proud of him.  I even got a little teary eyed as he ran into the stadium and crossed the finish line.  We cheered the best we could, but Ryan had his headphones in and my girls take after their mama and aren't much into public displays of craziness (now...at home displays of craziness is another thing...).

I had a few tears because I'm just emotional in my old age, but really, I was stink'n proud of my husband.  He set a goal and he accomplished it.  And being in this little Melzer family of ours - when one person accomplishes something, it feels like a success for all of us.  Maybe I cried a tad because Ryan's running really has been good for our family, or because I know how much of a family guy Ryan is and am grateful that he makes sure his work-outs don't take away too much from family time.  Maybe it's because the last four years we have had to work extra hard to balance making money time and family time and church time and hobby time...and sometimes I question if we doing it all right.  Then, just to have a day like this one, and suddenly some of those worries fade away.







Of course Leta is a cat.  She has been a cat every day since Halloween!


The bloody shoe

Lucy didn't want her face painted.  She waited with Ryan for a balloon animal - a butterfly she treasured until it deflated.

A good day.  But I am going to have to get Ryan a better running shirt.  Seriously - Peoria?  We Heart Mesa honey.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Congratulations to Ryan! What an awesome accomplishment! It looks like you all had a lot of fun cheering him on too. =)